Tuesday, October 7, 2008

I do my bloggin' after midnight


Ok, not really. I usually try to leave campus by 10 Pm. The custodian at Craig Hall likes to watch Leno. ^_^ If my job was to read blogs and look at Social Media online in order to conduct public relations for a company, my head could easily explode. There's only two blogs I have ever read with any consistency, and both of the writers are close friends of mine. it's hard for me to read blogs, and I feel like I am missing out on some rich information.


A few years ago (2004) I was President of a student organization here at the Department of Communication. We had a really good year that year and the professional chapter of the organization awarded us with an 'Internatiuonally renowned" Business Communicator. They suggested a man from the west coast named Shel Holtz. When I asked headquarters what he specialized in, they told me he really liked talking about new technology called Web Logging or 'Blogs'. My face crinkled up with distaste. Why would we want to hear about someone's journal online? How is that going to help business communicators, leaders, event planners, and public relations practitioners? Imagine the disgust I felt in myself when I see that blogs are some of the most influential pieces of communication out on the web as we speak. I opted to have a speaker who would talk to us about media relations, and she ended up taling about things that everybody had already learned about.


That was a big mistake, and can be added to the few regrets that I have in my career sofar.

1 comment:

Natalie said...

Margo,
I like your blog! I felt the same way about blogs- they seemed so personal and unprofessional. Now, they are everywhere. We live in a quickly changing environment and social mediums are racing with traditional mediums. It will be interesting to see who wins.