Sunday, December 7, 2008

Is everyone Twitterpated?


There are two difficult tasks to overcome when deciding to start using Twitter. First, is the grammar involved with past, past participle, present, subjunctive and future ways of even talking about Twitter. Did I just 'twit' a message on Twitter? Did I make a 'tweet'? Am I going to "tweet" or "twitter it"? Am I 'Tweeting", "Twitting" or "Twittering", presently? The world twitter also reminds me of the Disney movie, Bambi, because in the springtime, all the young bucks and does and girl and boy sqirrels and rabbits and skunks and birds all become "Twitterpated" as the wise old owl would say. It scared Bambi and his friends, I remember that much.


Participating on Twitter also seems like a difficult task if your primary audience or network is not on Twitter. Brad's whole office seemed to be on twitter, but will supervisors and leaders of company's want you to use twitter to interact with your co-workers all the time? It will have to be regulated and monitored from a human resources standpoint, just in case it's abused. I know it was abused the other night in class. People were making fun of me on Twitter and I wasn't even in on the joke since I wasn't updating my tweets fast enough. ^_^
Right now, my friends are not on twitter, probably because we all have Facebook and Myspace pages with that sort of information on it. Also, what are we going to tweet about that has anything to do with each other right now? When I move into a PR job or something similar, it will be necessary since small tweets can really help your audience remember, or gear up for events and programs.
Maybe I'll fall into the twitterpated trap, so to speak, as the owl warned us all as kids. At least I know everyone enjoyed themselves after they discovered what it meant to be twitterpated. Perhaps after I get a 'real' job and join in on twitter more often, I'll enjoy it alot more, too.

6 comments:

J.Riley said...

Haha, I don't know... all I know is that all that twitters is gold =)

Jameser said...

I love your post Margo. Maybe it turns out that the owl in Bambi was actually Nostradomus resurrected? HE PREDICTED TWITTER OMG!!!

I agree with your question about superior-subordinate relations. Let's assume that an organization does start utilizing Twitter, great, in fact, awesome. But how will that affect superior-subordinate relationships? Will poeple be required to be "professional" and only post work related material? Or will it be more than that, an "all inclusive mecca" for employees to chat and stay connected?

OH THE IMPLICATIONS! Maybe we should watch Bambi again, the owl my have another prediction hidden in there.

AbLoG4U said...

This post raises many good points about using twitter, twittering, tweeting...whatever it's called. Being politically correct when using a new form of social media is VERY important. Coming across as a knowledgable,intelligent, and sensitive user can make the difference in gaining followers or convincing potential followers that your participation is pointless.

PS: love the Bambi reference!

keshia said...

You mentioned that maybe when you get a real job, you will enjoy Twitter more. I could certainly see this as being true. Right now (as you said) your friends use facebook and myspace...no one really ventures into Twitter. But if you enter a workplace where everyone is doing it, you'll follow the bandwagon and learn to enjoy it too probably! Let's face it, Twitter was a little bit of fun when everyone in our class was on it and conversing with each other (even if it did lead to the end of most people listening!).

krseRN said...

lol...I love the Bambi reference! I agree with you on the fact that twitter
seems hard to get into since all my friends are all already on facebook, etc. I'm thinking about fiddling around and trying to figure out a way to connect them all because I'm going to get tired of checking 20 different accounts and updating 20 different statuses!

Akwesi Antwi said...

You speak well. Let's see if we can get it on Webster. It should be a new word like "googling," yeah "twitterin"